Friday, April 10, 2015

Healthy Vegan Friday- Breakfast Chow

Just as I was starting to feel better, AP decided to run out and pick up the flu.  Just to keep things interesting around here.  He's out for the count and I'm getting worn down again, and crossing all the fingers and toes that I don't come down with his plague.  And so, we venture into our fourth weekend in a row filled with naps, Netflix and takeout.

However, I'm definitely well enough to participate in Healthy Vegan Fridays this week!  This week I'm sharing AP's breakfast.  I make a batch of this granola every Sunday, and he eats it for breakfast all week long.  If you've been granola shopping recently, you know how ridiculously expensive it is.  $8 for a little bag of oats???  Not on my watch. 

My recipe is based on this one, but pared down and spiced up a bit.  With crappier pictures.

Peanut Butter Breakfast Chow
1/2 cup PB2 powder (you can use regular peanut butter or almond butter if preferred)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
1.5 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla
1-2 teaspoon garam masala, depending on how much zing you want.
6 cups rolled oats

Dump everything except the oats into a huge bowl, and stir until fully combined.

PB2!  I love how it blends in sauces, much smoother compared to regular nut butters.

That's the good stuff. 
Once everything is combined.give it a taste, make sure you like it. Then add in the oats; add 3 cups, stir until fully coated, then add the other 3 cups and stir until it's all uniformly peanut buttery.

Leave no oat uncoated.
Spread the chow on a nonstick pan, and toss into a 350F oven.

Make sure it's spread out evenly. 
Let the granola go for about 15 minutes, then take it out and stir it so it doesn't burn.  Put it back in for another 10 minutes or so.  Keep an eye on it- every oven is different!  My oven takes 15 minutes, stir, 5 minutes, stir, 5 minutes, done.  It's an old crappy oven though, so your mileage may vary.

Finished!

Bam! A week's worth of fancy granola for pennies.  I even got a swank cereal box from Ikea.

Suck it Whole Foods.
That's all I got this week- hopefully by next week this family will be back in full swing.  Or at least weaned off our humidifier addiction.




1 comment:

  1. Yum, this looks so good! I've only recently started making my own cereal but I'm not sure I could go back now ;)

    ReplyDelete